Archiwista w czasach globalizacji c. d.
Janusz Tandecki, Profesor Andrzej Tomczak - sylwetka uczonego, w: Archeion, t. 113, wyd. NDAP, ss. 13-20
"Janusz Tandecki, Professor Andrzej Tomczak — a profile of the scholar. Andrzej Tomczak,a prominent archivist and a specialist in modern and contemporary history, was born on12 September 1922. He graduated from primary and lower secondary school in £ódŸ and also startedhigher secondary education there, but he interrupted it when he was in the second year due to theoutbreak of World War II. In 1941, he joined Zwi¹zek Walki Zbrojnej (ZWZ; English: Unionof Armed Struggle), and one year later, he passed his final exams in the underground St. StanislausComprehensive School in Warsaw. Later on, he taught Polish, history and geography in undergroundclasses in G³owno. In the spring of 1944, he joined the Kedyw squad of the Union of ArmedStruggle/Home Army for the Brzeziny–Koluszki Region.As soon as WWII was over, he started to study history in £ódŸ (1945), but he continued it atNicolaus Copernicus University in Toruñ (NCU). In 1948, on the basis of the thesis entitled “WalentyDembiñski, ostatni kanclerz Polski Jagielloñskiej” (English: Walenty Dembiñski, the Last Chancellorof Jagiellonian Poland) written under the supervision of Prof. L. Kolankowski, Tomczak was awardeda Master’s degree in philosophy, major in: history.Having graduated from university, he started to work as a research and teaching assistant at theNCU. In 1950, having studied at the Faculty of Humanities of the NCU, he was awarded a PhDdegree for his thesis entitled “Walenty Dembiñski i jego ród” (English: Walenty Dembiñski and hisfamily) supervised by Prof. L. Kolankowski. In the same year (1950), he was forced to leave universityfor political reasons. Then, he moved to £ódŸ and took up a job in the Voivodship State Archives.In the beginning, he held the position of an archivist, and in 1955 he became an archive custodian.In 1957, after the October’56 thaw, Andrzej Tomczak came back to Toruñ, where he engaged in theactivities of the Chair of Archival Science and Auxiliary Sciences of History established in 1951.Since then, archival science and related sciences became the most important areas of his scientificand didactic activity. In 1964, at the Faculty of Humanities of the NCU, he was awarded a habilitateddoctor degree in modern history and auxiliary sciences of history (with special focus on archivalsciences) for his thesis “Kancelaria biskupów w³oc³awskich w okresie ksiêgi wpisów (XV–XVIIIw.)” (English: W³oc³awek Bishops’ Office at the Time of the Register Book (15th to 18th century))A year later (in 1965), he became an assistant professor in the Institute of History of the NCU andthe head of the Department of Archival Science, and since 1 February 1968, he became the head ofthe major in archival science as part of the program of history. Andrzej Tomczak was awarded anassociate professor degree on 4 April 1974 and a full professor degree on 19 February 1981. In 1990,he became a corresponding member of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences in Cracow, and in2005, he became its active member. In 1992, Prof. Tomczak officially retired; however, he still lecturesto students of archival science, though not full time, and actively takes part in the life of the scientificcommunity.Professor Tomczak’s academic achievements are numerous, including over 350 items. In 2011,the last bibliography of his works created in the years 1949–2010 (which is already out–of–date) waspublished in the publication entitled Dorobek naukowy i dydaktyczny toruñskiego oœrodka archiwistyki(English: Scientific and Didactic Achievements of Toruñ Archives Centre). He also taught numerousstudents. His M.A. seminars were attended by over 150 students, the majority of whom found jobs inarchives. For a dozen of years or so, he also held PhD seminars which brought 8 PhD degrees.For his contributions, he was decorated with the Silver Cross of Merit (1957) and Gold Cross ofMerit (1967), Knight’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (1975), Officer’s Cross of the Orderof Polonia Restituta (1998) and Commander’s Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta (2013) as wellas the Medal of the National Education Commission (1979) and Home Army Cross (1994)." Źródło: Archeion, t. 113